top of page

Am I grown up enough to go on my own?

We prepare to separate from each other and leave the ship in the early morning. I strip what I can carry of spare parts from Christians bicycle. The rest of it he gives away to the poorest old lady he can find in the nearby village.

I have three meals for a late dinner. Then we go to bed. Christian will get the phone with internet and local SIM card so I spend the night until 2 am loading up photos for the blog. We wake up 2 hours later. Pack our belongings and leave the ship. It is dark until 6.30 so I pack my bags in a better way on the dock. Christian and I say goodbye and he leaves with a bus. Of course I will miss him. But it will also be nice trying this on my own. Good things is I am probably faster alone and it will be interesting to see if I am ready to be on my own, being 38 years, have I grown up yet? On the downside is a lot. Less sequrity, no one to share memories with. More work with charity and blog. But more opurtunities to meet other people. More focus on what fun food they can offer and less of what a "vegan" means. All respect for animals and vegans and Christians choice of eating habits, but here with the language barrier you may end up with milk or eggs in your food. And then it takes some fun of trying new stuff, local specialités and starting a meal in a good mood.

I leave the port, the noise of the frogs and the beautiful lake Tanganika. I cycle up a long steep dirt road for about 20 km from the beach and up.

See some small grey monkeys. I go on until a small village and then I am really hungry. So I ask a young woman for boiled water so I can make poorage. I buy bananas and eat it all in her kitchen.

We both sit on the dirt floor. She cooks on the fire. Perfect breakfast. So real. I love it when she goes to the neigbour to get some glowing coal to start the fire. So real!

I go on. The uphill turn into a beautiful old forrest

then to open fields with a litle rain and muddy roads. It takes me many hours to do the first 40 km on this dirt road. Then tarmac comes and it takes me another 70 km forward.

I have a flat tire and two broken spokes.

I get close to the city which I want to reach when I stumble upon this fantastic and dangerous road kill. Thick and medium warm as a fläskfilé on a plate. If I knew how to cook it I would have brought it to the nearest village. Maybe I should cook more when I come home...

It is the deadliest snake in Africa. Would I have cycled a few minuters faster, then it may have been alive and if I would have run over it, it would probably have given me one last encounter with mother nature and a walk in to the tunnel of light. It scares me a bit to see this, it feels really scarry that this one kills so many people. It has an amount of venom for Killing three and a half fully grown persons.

Finally I get to the village for the night. Place is ok. The host tells me he has everything I need, even girlfriends, but I have to use protection.

I sleep early and wake up after seven. I fix all flat tires in my packing at the guest house before leaving. Then head to the center and take out money. I need to do a lot of charity and I need a new smart phone for internet. I find some hopeless smartphone sailsman. I leave him after two hours without a phone. At 2 in the afternoon I finally leave town. With a phone. Its a half day for cycling. But there is still five hours before dark.

So with luck, tailwind and the good road I make 110 km anyway. In the end I have a great meal with grilled meat in this small village.

I am now camping outside a house in the village. I am soooo tired...which is nice. Good night.

You Might Also Like:
bottom of page